Friday 29 May 2020
Cook With AGS: Chickpea And Greens Stew
Our store may have reopened (!) and we are gradually seeing life reach a little more normality here in Greece. Although we may be able to venture to work, and know that we are lucky to do so, we are still spending the bulk of our time at home, staying safe and cooking for family. We hope that wherever you are, you have access to fresh food and are finding small comforts in the ritual of preparing it.
Today’s recipe is Christina Kotsilelou’s Chickpea and Greens Stew. As always, if you make this please continue to share on Instagram with #CookwithAGS.
Chickpea and greens stew
250g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
4 tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 bunch of kale, chard or spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch fresh coriander or parsley
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
250g full fat Greek yoghurt
1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute your sofritto (onions, celery, carrots) in olive oil until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue for another minute.
2. Add your spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli flakes) and stir until fragrant.
3. Add the chickpeas and vegetable stock, bring to the boil and reduce the heat. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, until they are tender.
4. Add the greens, and let simmer for another 8-10 minutes until they are softened too.
5. In a small bowl, mix the yoghurt, lemon juice and zest, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the stew with a scoop of yoghurt, some freshly chopped coriander or parsley, and a drizzle of oil on top. Enjoy!
For more of Christina’s recipes, check our blog every Wednesday, where we’ll be continuing our #CookwithAGS series!
You can also find her at http://christinakotsilelou.com/ and on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/_vegstuff/